<VV> Corsa Membership vs. Local Club Membership (long)

AeroNed at aol.com AeroNed@aol.com
Sat Feb 5 04:50:31 EST 2005

In a message dated 2/4/2005 9:30:07 PM Central Standard Time,
whubbell@cox.net writes:

"Ask not  what your Corvair Club can do for you, ask rather what you can do
for your  Corvair Club"

Well put Bill! Now let me add to this thought...

Your local club is what YOU make it. If you want to see a tech session then
start the ball rolling by doing one yourself. It doesn't have to be on the
optimum design for a Corvair camshaft, unless that your bag. It could be on how
to keep seats clean or what ever you are comfortable with. We may be
fortunate at our club meetings, many months we have multiple tech sessions.  Some may
be long and detailed, others may be short and sweet. None have ever  been
planned. Our members bring in something that they've been working on or  found
laying around the garage and talk about it.

What else does the local club do for it's members? That's an easy one. We
support each other to keep these quirky unique cars on the road and running
great. Again looking to our local club for examples. I have had many members
over to help work on my car and I have gone to help others. Of course we have
the Tunas, three time a year, Feb is "Cold Tuna", June is "Juna Tuna", and Oct
is "Luna Tuna". These events are dedicated to getting every Corvair running as
 good as possible. Terry Kalp opens his shop for these events. We end up
working  on as many as a dozen cars. Members helping members. Of course there's
food,  really good food. It seems like there's a competition to see who can
bring the  best dish (just trying to get more good food for the upcoming Cold
Tuna). These  events are very popular with our members.

Our club covers all of Kansas outside the greater Kansas City area, a large
geographic area. We see some members only once or twice a year. Some because
they live far away, others are just not into the club thing. All seem happy
with  the direction and activities of our club or at least that's what they tell
the  President. Since we reentered CORSA, we have gained membership and only
lost one  due to relocation. Our club is not 100% CORSA members. I'm going to
put together  a 'sales pitch' on why to join CORSA and ask why others have
joined. I pledge to  do my part to help mother CORSA anyway I can.

Ned  Madsen
1965/6 Corvair Monza/Corsa 140 (soon to have AC)
CORSA Member since  2000
Mid Continent Corvair Association -  President