<VV> An interesting thing.....

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Sat Feb 5 06:49:17 EST 2005

In a message dated 2/4/05 9:01:21 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
shaun_mcgarvey@shaw.ca writes:

> No no no. The white ceramic paint is on the tube so that the heat from the
> exhaust manifold passing nearby is not transferred to the oil returning to
> the sump via the tubes. It is to keep the oil cooler, nothing to do with
> leaks.
>
> yea, Vairily ... Shaun

Shaun,
It was Richard Finch who,originally published this technique of painting the
pushrod tubes with white paint in his book, How to keep Your Corvair Alive.
And he states very clearly that it for the purpose of keeping the heat from
ruining the O-rings on the pushrod tubes.

Now it may very well also lower the heating of the oil, but how do you know?
This is really not a proven factor. But if I am wrong, then please show me the
data.
Regards,
Bob Helt