<VV> Suggestions for after market wheels

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Sat Feb 5 10:01:38 EST 2005

On Feb 4, 2005, at 9:25 PM, Poppsmail@cs.com wrote:

> I am in search of after market wheels and now that I have been
> educated on
> backspacing and such (thanks to all who responded) I am looking for
> suggestions
> on after market wheels,
>
> My baby is a '65 Monza convertible 140.   I believe I will go with an
> 14 x 6
> wheel.
>
> I prefer the look of the Crager SS but can only find 3 3/8 backspace
> on a
> 14x6 or 4.25 on 14x7.
>
> Any suggestions out there?

Wheel choice is a very personal thing. What looks good to one, is ugly
to others. Still, a few wheels stand out. The Cragers you mention have
never been my favorite, but they do look very "correct" as a period
aftermarket wheel. I remember when it was cool to run a Crager on the
front and a wider chrome reversed wheel on the rear. Some drag racers
ran this, so it became cool to run on the street.

Another wheel whose looks have stood the test of time and which many
would concur is one of the most beautiful wheels ever put on a car is
the old Chevrolet Rally wheel. These are available in a wide variety of
sizes. Painted black or to match your car or even contrast with it and
with the chrome center caps and beauty rings these look great on any
Corvair. The Olds variations look good too, but my favorite is the
original Chevy wheel.

You didn't ask, but I'll mention that 205/70-14 tires are a good choice
for 14" wheels as they are the same diameter as original Corvair
7.00-13 tires. If you want a lower, wider tire, many run 215/60's and
even wider on the rear. For instance, if you'd like a little rake, try
something like a 215/60 on the front and a 235/60 on the rear. This
will lower the front nicely, while the rears will be just a tad smaller
than stock, but fill the wheel well nicely.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina
Greenville, SC