<VV> RE: CORSA/Freeloaders

Ken Wildman k-wildman@onu.edu
Sun Feb 6 00:36:14 EST 2005

At 02:28 PM 2/5/2005, james rice wrote:
>Warren:  First, please forward this to VV & FV.
>
>I think you are being way to nice.
>
>I place a high value CORSA and CPF.  There is no Corvair hobby without them.
>And I have put my money and effort where my mouth is since the mid-70's.
>
>Corsa membership is less than $0.10 a day.  I bet all of us spend more than
>that each day on various caffeine load drinks.  I wouldn't even mention,
>because as a non-user I don't know, what people spend on alcohol loaded
>drinks.  Shoot, they probably spend more per day on internet access to VV &
>FV than CORSA membership cost.
>
>In my opinion, non-CORSA members who participate in VV & FV are mooches and
>parasites, feeding off the hard won efforts and expenses of others.  They
>are flat, metallic oil level gauges*.  I cannot express in polite words what
>I think of these mooches and parasites.
>
>As someone once crudely said about another subject, why buy the cow when you
>can get the milk for free?
>
>How about you and other CORSA members on FV & VV only replying to CORSA
>members...verifiable via their CORSA membership number? Thus, the
>freeloaders, mooches and parasites can read, but not participate by asking?
>I suspect Harry could give you a list of current membership numbers to cross
>reference to should the freeloaders submit a made up number.  And then the
>freeloaders could be ID'd.
>
>Gee, better yet, maybe delete them from VV & FV once ID'd.
>
>How about making CORSA membership a requirement for VV & FV?  For attending
>the racers tech meeting at Gary's later this month?  For all Corvair drivers
>at the various track get to gathers?
>
>I feel the same way about people who are chapter members but not CORSA
>members, a topic in the current Communique.
>
>James Rice
>
>* "Dipsticks" for those without verbal imaginations......

This seems to have kicked off a lot of name-calling.  I don't think it's
appropriate.

I joined VV when there were about 30 members.  The list was supported by
voluntary contributions of time & effort by a small cadre of members and
money from a larger number.  We didn't think we were giving something away,
and we never saw members who chose not to contribute as
free-loaders.  Those of us who contributed, in whatever small or large way,
did it because the list provided us with access to others who shared our
interest in Corvairs.  We all gained far more from the participation of an
increasing number of members, than we invested.

At some point CORSA generously accepted financial responsibility because
the value of the list to the hobby was so obvious.  VV has been an
outstanding recruitment asset to CORSA, just as the Communique has
been.   The list was formed to be a PUBLIC forum and I believe it should
remain one.

Ken