<VV> RE: mandatory membership/websites

Steve Goodman rearengine.steve@worldnet.att.net
Sun Feb 6 19:11:26 EST 2005

Hello all:  I have hopefully given some thought in this reply.  I agree with
Jim Rice that mandatory membership to FASTVAIR and VV would be a great idea.
On the other hand I think the word 'mandatory' is a scary thing these days, we
have too many mandatory things in our lives now.  RMC has a mandatory rule and
has for years.  PPCC allows a 'grandfather' clause for not joining CORSA, all
new must join however.

I also enjoyed Warren's post on free loading, it is well written.

One of the problems of the internet age is that no one wants to look up
information anymore.  They want to just click 'send' and get the answer.  When
I was a kid (long time ago) if I asked my parents or teachers what the capitol
of Colorado was, they would say LOOK IT UP.  Those days are gone with the
internet and I have seen many cases of a quick posting saying "my car won't
start, what should I look for?" or "where is my engine leaking oil?".   Going
to the keyboard is the new way these days.  On CORVAIRCENTER I would make
posts to questions by typing 'it is in the tech guide'; hoping that more would
join and buy the publication but actually got taken to task over giving that
for an answer.  Larry Forman and I both got in trouble and both of us went
back to answering the questions.  It is either that or not reading the site
anymore.  I can't do that, I like trying to push the CORVAIR whenever I can.

In my own case, yep I give free info on the websites.  If I were a doctor I
wouldn't do it for free.  You never get advice from a doctor over the phone do
you??  In fact I have to guarantee my work and a doctor??? but that is another
subject.  I think Larry C used to check on the CORSA roster before giving
advice on V V.  I always had this optimistic feeling that if the interest was
kept up by all of us that the new people would follow suit but I doubt that it
works all that well.

As I understand it, in the BMW club you join the national organization then
they join you to a local club.  That isn't a bad idea but honestly these days
there are many who just aren't interested in club activities.  Most of my
customers are NOT club members and state their non-interest when I ask them.

Where does all of this leave us??I don't know.  Like most of us, I  know the
problems; it is trying to find answers that is difficult.

Regards, Steve

CORSA #  goodsto