<VV> Another Q about shrouds

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts@aol.com
Sun Feb 6 21:41:48 EST 2005

Bruce, I had an oil temp gage on all these cars. As a broke kid, I used a
150:C gage from a Fiat 124, and used the accompanying sender screwed into the
back of the crankcase, on the lower left corner near the oil pump. I got these
as
freebies from a friend with a junkyard specializing in imports. Swapping is
wonderful, isn't it? <G> These were Veglia units. Pretty nice looking,
actually.
The turbo engines in particular would run over 120:C, showing how lousy the
stock oil cooler was. Even the 110 ran over 110:C. The oil took a while to get
up to temp, shrouds and Tstats or not. It didn't seem to make much difference.
Nor would I have expected it to, since the oil cooler always gets cold air,
and the pistons are probably the #1 source of heat for the oil.
The first part is first hand, the second is my SO humble opinion. <g>

John

In a message dated 2/6/2005 12:54:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bwschug@charter.net writes:
> From my own personal experience with two turbo Corsas and one Monza
> with a
> 110 and a Corsa dash, even in the dead of winter and no shrouds, the
> engines
> would warm up in several minutes to make the CHT get off the lower end
> and get to
> at least 250-300F.

I think you're incorrect as to how to tell when a Corvair engine is
warmed up. Head temperature has something to do with it, but the real
issue is OIL temp. It'll take the oil MUCH longer to warm up than the
head. That's why it's a good idea to run an oil temp gauge - so you
know what's really going on with your engine - my opinion.

I run with the shrouds off in warm temps because it cools my engine
better; especially with the AC on. In cold weather, it works pretty
well for me to just leave my adjustable fan pulley on the SLOW speed
(1.20). With the shrouds off, that's all the cooling I need. The only
problem I have is on an unseasonably warm winter day, when it may get
up to 70 here. The slow fan may have a problem cooling the engine
during a long drive at freeway speeds. I have to watch the oil temp
then.

Bruce