<VV> Oil Leak(s) and Photos

Western Canada CORSA westerncanadacorsa@shaw.ca
Mon Feb 7 06:38:34 EST 2005

John,

Chattering in reverse can be a symptom of worn crossmember bushings.  If the oil collecting on the tranny & bellhousing has the distinctive smell of sulphur then it's gear oil and it's most likely coming from the shiftlinkage seal, or the throwout bearing snout seal.

Probably not the same problem you have, but similar, check out this pic from WCC's Hall of Shame.  This is my clutch from right after I bought my vair.  Front main seal was gone and the oil wrecked the clutch.  Believe it or not the car actually, barely ran with that much clutch material missing, and the rest soaked in oil.

http://www.westerncanadacorsa.com/HallofShame/joel0.htm

Regards,
Joel
CORSA Member

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of John Green
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2005 2:43 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Oil Leak(s) and Photos

My 1965 Monza has at least one undercar leak. I have straightened the oil pan
and replaced the gasket following the instructions in Corvair Lubricant Leaks
by Frederick Johnson. This helped, but the leaks persist.

I wonder if I have a leak at the rear of the engine. Oil seems to collect near
the bellhousing, and the clutch chatters when in reverse. Oil also collects on
the transmission.

Pictures can be seen by clicking on the link below. I would be grateful for
any advice.

http://www.ohmyheck.net/corvair/corvair/

John Green
Corsa member