<VV> rotary valves

kenfran at comcast.net kenfran@comcast.net
Mon Feb 7 17:28:14 EST 2005

Coates claims to have the seal problems licked. They have produced thousands
of industrial engines so far, but it is hard to get info on how they are
doing. I even wrote them an email a while back, but they said they had no
plans to produce heads for cars anytime soon, since they were concentrating
on the industrial engines (things like propane-fueled generator engines) and
their new Coates motorcycle for now.
But the way the rotary valve works seems ideal for an air-cooled engine,
reducing octane requirements, reducing detonation, even better emissions.
By the way, Wankel worked, among other places, for NSU, where he was
probably involved in the design of their rotary-valve engine.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron" <ronh@owt.com>
To: <kenfran@comcast.net>; <virtualvairs@corvair.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2005 12:53 PM
Subject: Re: <VV> Re: VirtualVairs digest, Vol 1 #1736 - 8 msgs

> The Coates certainly looks interesting but they will have the same seal
problems as the Wankel had.  It's hardly been tested, so far, so time will
tell.
> RonH
>
> From: <kenfran@comcast.net>
> Subject: <VV> Re: VirtualVairs digest, Vol 1 #1736 - 8 msgs
> >I know it will probably be viewed as a wild idea, but I think that the
ideal solution would be to eliminate the pushrod tubes, the pushrods, the
cam,  the rocker arms, and the tappet valves, and convince the patent-holder
on the Coates rotary valves to produce a rotary-valve head for the Corvair,
or at least allow his patents to be used to help publicize his technology..