<VV> Turbo vs 140

James Davis jld@wk.net
Tue Feb 8 14:59:30 EST 2005

This balancing and synchronizing of carbs is way overblown.  It does take
time to do it the first time, but once done I have never had to re-do it
unless I changed out a carb or modified the linkage.  There are four 140
engines in my current stable of cars, FC's and of course the Ultra Van
(Beau).  67,000 miles on a 140 engine in an Ultra Van; no dropped valve
seats, no overheating, lower shrouds installed all year, synchronized and
balanced carbs,  Safeguard, 14 mpg.  So yes, a 140 can survive for at full
throttle for hour with all four carbs wide open.

For the age curious, I bought my wife a brand new 1965 Corvair Corsa
convertible (140) for our first wedding anniversary. I was 26 years old at
the time.  The good news is that she still has the car (330,000 miles
later) and me (her riding mechanic).
Jim Davis