<VV> No Reverse in early transmission

Dale Smiley dsmiley@wthr.com
Thu Feb 10 22:46:44 EST 2005

Hello from a long time lurker! I don't usually post (ashamed to admit I let my CORSA membership expire)!!  :-[

I had a similar experience with an early, although I thought it was a '64. I never did a 'number chase' to see if the tranny was correct for the car. Car was running fine, on my way to a night shift I pulled into a fast food joint for a quick bite. When I tried to back out of my parking place -- no reverse.

When I tore it down that weekend the 'pin' that actuates the reverse yoke had fallen out of the flat piece that the shift rod moves. It was just laying there in the bottom of the housing. I got some Locktite goo from an aircraft mechanic friend of mine (also a vair guy) and using a few drops on the 'pin' (a piece of round steel about 3/8" diameter and 1/2" or so long (I'm guessing from memory here)) pressed it back into the flat piece in a vice, reinstalled and away I went. It was still working when I sold the car two years later, so I must have done something right!

BTW, I'm 60 if your still counting (physically anyway)! O:-)

Dale Smiley
Broadcast Engineer
Corvair Nut
Indianapolis, IN
1966 Turbo Corsa 'sleeping' until next resto!

PS -- anyone know of a '66 4-door in not too bad a shape for sale anywhere near central Indiana??

Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:57:57 -0600
To: "Virtual Vairs" <virtualvairs@corvair.org>
From: "R. Byers" <rbyers03@tampabay.rr.com> (by way of "Harry Jensen,
  CORSA Executive Secretary" <corsa@corvair.org>)
Subject: <VV> Transmission help-Reverse

I have just completed reinstalling my engine into my 62 Monza, repairing
things I have known to be wrong as I have gone along, including the brakes,
U joints, flywheel, clutch and, of course a new engine, replete with new
center carburetor and linkage.
Much to my chagrin, upon starting it and moving it for the first time under
its own power, I found first, second, third, and fourth gears... but no
reverse.  The shifter moves into the correct position for reverse, but..
nothing happens.  I have looked and checked and I can find nothing amiss.
My first instinct is to think that I need a new transmission (or a new
reverse gear), but I thought I would write and ask the experts if there
might be some adjustment or something I am missing.  I just can't see what
else it could be from looking at the manuals, but it is depressing after
coming this far.
Additionally, as this is a modified 140 engine, and assuming it IS a bad
transmission, should I take the opportunity to get a late model transmission?
Thanks for the help!