<VV> Radio options in 63's

JRVIDRINE at aol.com JRVIDRINE@aol.com
Sun Feb 13 21:19:08 EST 2005

I am interested in finding out if someone can give me a fairly clear answer
as to whether the AM/FM radio was an option in 1963.  I bought my first new car
in August 1963 in Eunice, Louisiana.  It was a White Monza Coupe with a red
interior.  It had the 102 hp engine and 4 speed transmission.  I have seen a
number of posts here saying that the AM/FM radio wasn't an option in the Corvair
until in the later models.

Now, maybe I'm suffering a false memory, but to the best of my recall, I did
have an AM/FM radio in that car.  Now, if it wasn't a factory option could it
have been a dealer installed option.  It was a GM radio and it was
transistorized which meant it was instant on as opposed to the tube radios which had to
warm up.  It seems like I can remember that it had a button for AM and one for
FM.  I also remember that FM stations weren't nearly as prevalent as they are
now.  They did have some around Fayetteville, N.C. which is near Ft. Bragg
where I was stationed.

I am interested in hearing any input or return on this question.

Randy Vidrine
62 Monza Coupe
Branch, LA