<VV> Are the valves supposed to be movable by hand?

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sun Feb 13 21:39:00 EST 2005

Are you having any PROBLEMS that you would associate with worn valve guides
or stems (e.g. oil consumption, bad compression)? If not, I wouldn't mess
with things. If you are, then, you've got a fairly solid diagnosis for the
problem.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of aircooled6@prodigy.net
Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2005 4:00 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Are the valves supposed to be movable by hand?

Doing O rings on my greenbrier and just because, I grabbed the valve at the
spring retainer and tried to wiggle it. It moves perceptibly.  Hmm.  Tried
the other one in that cylinder and it also moves perceptibly.  Curious,
waded thru the back mudlot to my storage shed for an Ultra Head and.....cant
move any of the valves with my fingers.

Im guessing that this means that the supposedly re-done heads on the engine
arent.  Wallowed out valve guides?

Maybe Ill have to do the smog head swap I was thinking about after all since
those have positively been re-done.

At least its sunny and 75 today!!

Everett Wilson
North Richland Hills TX