Convertible Driving Re: Why?? Re: <VV> convertible question

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Wed Feb 16 18:53:08 EST 2005

In a message dated 2/15/05 4:42:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
airvair@richnet.net writes:
<SNIP>I've found that convertibles are really only most comfortable at dusk,
but that's just my preference. Some people are sun bunnies, and drive
with the top down any time it's not raining.<SNIP>
Mark,
    I'm with you on that.  Much of my top down convertible driving was done
at dusk and at night or on cloudy days.  I remember the first time I stopped it
traffic with the top down in New York City in the summer at night and felt
heat coming down on me.  Surprised, I looked up and found a highway overpass
above me that was radiating heat (absorbed during the sunny day) back down on me
at night.
    In the bright hot sun, I frequently drove with the top UP but with the
back window DOWN to improve the ventilation since I never had A/C in any of my
convertibles.  Actually the back window down had some other advantages.  I
remember when my wife went out with a neighbor and our 2 little boys to buy 2
Christmas trees and ended up with both trees stuffed into the car through the back
window opening.  Of course, that time of year it was a bit cool driving in
NYC with the back window down<GGGG>
    Thanks for reminding me,
    Frank Burkhard