<VV> EM or LM wheel bearings?...

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Wed Feb 16 22:37:41 EST 2005

At 11:19 hours 02/16/2005, bjornyesterday wrote:
>List members,
>
>I read that the wheel bearings that are being repacked are for a LM.
>Can rear wheel bearings from an EM also be taken apart and repacked?

Absolutely and highly recommended because it's fairly easy to do.

>If so, are special tools required,

Nope.   Lug wrench, jack, socket set, a punch (to remove a couple of
rivets) and a can of brake-klene to clean out the old grease before you
cram it with the new synth slickum.

>or can an old shade tree mechanic
>do it?

Sure.

>Are there grease seals that have to be replaced, or can the
>old ones be used again?

Well... I've always reused the old seals and so far so good.  Besides, it's
rather labor intensive too a large degree to replace them.   ;)

>Andy Anderson, trying to grease the wheel before the squeek.

BTDT had good luck.

tony..