<VV> So close. Static timing

UltraMonzaWest at aol.com UltraMonzaWest@aol.com
Wed Feb 16 19:58:59 EST 2005

In a message dated 2/16/2005 8:03:18 AM Pacific Standard Time,
chevyd51@yahoo.com writes:

> the one thing I think that
> will be hard for me is reinstalling the
> distributor...never done this before(even though I
> understand the process, I'm still afraid I'm gonna do
> it WAY off...)

****
1   you need to "prelube"  the  engine anyway.....dist. out....big "common"
screwdriver minus handle in drill motor...Turn CW  approx  200 rpm....until
"resistance is felt..then for another minute...

2  To  re-install distributor:

A  Remove sparkplug from #1 [  closest to dist.]
B  Crank engine with starter with finger in hole.
C   When pressure blows your fing out...STOP
D   Timing mark will have passed the timing guide / rotate pulley CW  until
the timing mark on the pulley is at 14 DEG.  STOP      DO NOT MOVE ENGINE!!
E    With dist. in your hand.....point rotor towards VA  diaphram...1" below
VA
F   Look at bottom of Dist. shaft......with VA pointed at rear bumper /
determine where the oil pump SLOT  should be....taking into account the gears are
angled and the Rotor will turn approx.  1/8  turn...
G  Align oil pump slot...........install dist. [ gasket!]  and insert dist.
until it bottoms out at gasket surface...if not  move oil pump shaft
slightly...
H   Add holdown clamp and tighten with fingers.

I   Connect wire from Dist. to "-"  of coil
J   Add  Dist. cap / Coil lead  and # 1  SP wire.....with sparkplug in!  Hold
SP  against metal.
K   Turn on Ignition..DO NOT CRANK ENGINE
L    By hand..Rotate Dist CW  all the way it will go [ hits eng.]
M   Rotate CCW  slowly until #1   SP  fires  STOP   Tighten down dist.

NOTE:   if you set the points right / have spark...there is no reason to move
the Distributor.  ANY  engine will run with this timing.

Matt Nall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Chairman V V