<VV> Rear wheel bearing greasing options / observations

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Thu Feb 17 16:00:49 EST 2005

Regarding chips arising from tapping: I thought at least SOME Zerk fittings
were, or could be used as though they were, self-tapping. The kind of
cutting a thread like that does on a properly sized hole in a single
insertion generates nearly zero chips. I don't remember whether I tapped my
Zerk holes when I did this, but I remember: (a) everything ran fine for
years afterward; (b) there was no weeping of grease after the first week
(when there WAS weeping); and (c) I lost zero brake linings in this process.
     And I did it without compressed air, and with about a fifth the effort
Tony expended in his "do-it-right-the-first-time" campaign, which is the way
I would do it now if only for the reason that I now have compressed air.

Joe (lucky?) Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Tony Underwood
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 12:54 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> Rear wheel bearing greasing options / observations

snip
  Tapping the hole is
twitchy, although I've used a greased up tap and managed to keep most of
the debris on the tap and the remainder was blown out following the  bath
in brake klene.   A bottoming tap might work even better.    *This*, if you
install a grease fitting...

Now:   If you do this up with some thoughtfulness, a zerk fitting is NOT
necessary unless you feel it *must* be there.    Getting grease into the
bearing can be done with one of those cute nozzles on the end of the grease
gun that allows you to squirt  grease into the bearing hub straight through
the hole.    The hole can be plugged afterwards with your choice of fixes,
from epoxy putty to a rubber cinch plug to whatever.

snip