<VV> Re: Tech Guide- wheel bearing greasing -new idea

John Dozsa jdozsa@carr.org
Fri Feb 18 04:09:17 EST 2005

> From: "J R Read_HML" <hmlinc@sbcglobal.net>
> To: <goofyroo@excite.com>, <virtualvairs@corvair.org>
> Cc: <tonyu@roava.net>
> Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:12:19 -0600
> Subject: <VV> Tech Guide-  wheel bearing greasing
>
> There are essentially 2 tech guides.  The first one came out it '86 and the
> 2nd (designed as a supplement) in '96.  The articles are primarily written
> by Claypool or Wispell OR have been reviewed by them for accuracy.  SOME
> articles in the supplement update articles from the original - so it is a
> good idea to check both.
>
> The article on rear wheel bearings is essentially a series of pictures with
> captions.  21 photos in all with step by step below each.  Some picture
> quality is not that great, but you get a decent idea of what to do next.
> Under photo 8, it says "Drill a 7/32" hole where you have marked.  You will
> feel when the drill goes thru the outer housing.  Do not drill further."
>
> This is the one which could probably be improved (as someone on VV has
> suggested) - with the caveat NOT to drill thru, but to punch the last bit of
> the distance in order to keep shavings out of the bearing.

Snip ...

How about taping the hole with a bottom tap before you drill all the way
through?  I haven't tried the greasing technique so I don't know how
thick the metal is.  But this would be a sure method the keep thread
taping chips out.  Once the treads are cut you could use a smaller size
drill bit to keep from ruining the threads. Then follow with a punch to
break through.

John