<VV> The number 4 main bearing

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Fri Feb 18 05:02:56 EST 2005

Hi Everybody,
The number 4 main bearing had the centerline dropped by 0.0015 inches
starting in 1960/61 to fix a "Thumper problem" (see the Tech Guide). This is a
strange kind of fix (IMO), and would seem to place a strain on the end of the
crankshaft, tending to bend it down. In addition it is well known that the Yenko
Stingers (staring with Stage II, I believe) replaced this bearing with an
intermediate type.

So I'm just wondering whether anybody has suffered any problems when using
this dropped bearing in racing or other competition. And if you are using an
intermediate bearing in this location, why?

Any thoughts or comments?

Regards,
Bob Helt