<VV> Re: Maroon w/red

Western Canada CORSA westerncanadacorsa@shaw.ca
Sat Feb 19 02:04:21 EST 2005

We've got TWO "C/O" (Customer Order) 'vairs here in Victoria.

One was the previously mentioned '66 Aztec Bronze and Red Interior coupe.

The other is the Lovely Laura's '64 coupe.  Palomar Red Body, Fawn Roof and
Fawn Interior.

Regards,
Joel

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of NOSVAIR@aol.com
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 4:34 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Re: Maroon w/red

  As my job gives me access to a number of collector cars, over the years
I've come upon these oddities rather frequently.  Your Buick story reminds
me of
3 different Oldsmobiles with strange colour combos....  2 of them being '57,
98 convertibles.  The first being copper in colour with green and white
interior...the second dark blue with red and white inside.  The other was a
'54, 88
convertible two-toned outside in corral and white with green upholstery.  In
each case the cars were genuine originals or resprayed in original colours
and
bore the letters SPL where the regular paint code would appear on the body
plate.  I've observed roughly 15 such "specials" on various GM products
within the
50's-60's era.  What is fascinating is the curious lack of special order
colour combination examples from either Ford or Chrysler.  I probably work
on 5
Fords to every 1 GM product and have yet to see a Ford wearing non-factory
recommended colour combos.
  Concerning my appeal for maroon cars with red interiors, I had always
liked
the one I saw pictured on the cover of the communique back in the mid
80's...it was a '64 Spyder convertible painted Palomar Red ( big difference
from
Aztec Bronze).  Loaded to the teeth with accessories the whole picture
reminded me
of the "personal luxury car" theme as opposed to the sporty GT look of a
flashy coloured stripped version.  Since then I've taken notice of any other
maroon/red combo cars ( and even owned one) and to say they are rare would
be an
understatement.  I guess its uniqueness makes it desireable in my minds eye.

Bruce Webster
'60 500 4dr
'61 700 2dr
'64 900 2dr