<VV> Re: Divergents

Louis C. Armer, Jr. carmerjr at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 21 22:05:29 EST 2005

Hey Bob, I have a couple of questions for you. Is the GM crankshaft "fix"
for all
engines produced after 1961 or just for 145 cu engines? If the "fix" is for
all engines
after 1961, what causes the  #5 and #6 break? Is it the deformation or
viabrations
and why wouldn't  "pounding out" still happen even though it might be
slower and
less severe than before? If whipping action is caused by a flywheel or torque
converter wouldn't it still exist regardless of the bearing clearance or
crankshaft
location? Finally are you suggesting that crankshafts prior to the "fix"
would break
somewhere other than at #5 and #6?

Chuck Armer

ps.

>Wow, you sure must have a bunch of spare time to write these.
>Regards, Bob Helt

!!! <GGG> Chuckster
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

At 08:11 PM 2/21/05 -0500, you wrote:
> [...]
> unbalance of
> > these two heavy items, or a "whipping" action (remember the reasons for
> the
> > flexible flywheel) caused an operational increase of the bearing
> clearance?
> > Possibly this bearing was under-designed in its ability to handle the
> heavy
> > flywheel or torque converter loads. Maybe the heavy loads caused a
> "pounding-out
> > of the aluminum web supporting the bearing, increasing the clearance and
> > causing the thumping (remember, that would be before the fixes).
> >
> > So now, let's review the fixes: A new #4 bearing with its centerline
> lowered
> > by 0.0015"; Journals #3 &#4 on the crankshaft increased by 0.0005"; and
> the
> > clearance spec for these two bearings tightened by 0.0005", with a minimum
> > spec clearance of a "tight" 0.0007".
> >
> >       Let's digress for a minute and look at how these bearing clearances
> > are measured. The Shop Manuals all like the Plastigage method, whereby
> a thin
> > strip of plastic material is squashed between the journal and the
> bearing when
> > the crankcase halves are tightened to spec. But think where the plastic
> > strip is usually placed. It's NOT at the crankcase parting lines, but
> about 90
> > degrees away in the center of the bearing shell. That means we are
> measuring
> > the side-to-side clearance, and not the up-down clearance. I wonder
> what the
> > up-down clearance might be, at the top of the #4 bearing (at the top of
> the
> > lowered portion of the bearing)? I haven't measured this clearance, but
> logic
> > would indicate it to be very small if one considers a perfectly round
> journal
> > and bearing, using the spec of 0.0007" side-to-side clearance. The crank
> > journal has got to be rubbing on the top of this bearing! To what effect?
> >
> > We now arrive at the final speculation. What are we doing to the
> crankshaft
> > with this bearing arrangement? We've got bearing #3 using a standard crank
> > centerline position, but with a tight clearance spec. Thus, bearing #3
> holds
> > the crank tightly in position. But bearing #4 pushes the crank down by
> 0.0015",
> > thus deforming it to some extent. As the #4 journal rotates, it gets
> pushed
> > down slightly, and held down. So, could there possibly be a relationship
> > between this crankshaft deformation and the fact that many broken
> crankshafts
> > break between throws #5 and #6, both of which are between the #3 and #4
> main
> > bearings? Who knows, but it's something to consider.

Corvair Atlanta, BOD
CORSA MEMBER
CORSA Tri-Membership Chairman
http://carmerjr.home.mindspring.com/