<VV> Gas Heater 101?

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Feb 22 03:13:25 EST 2005

At 10:05 hours 02/21/2005, Mike Stillwell wrote:

>  Please let me apolgize in advance as this topic may
>have been previously discussed, but I wasn't paying
>attention.
>  I'm trying to help out a guy with a '60 that has a
>non-functioning gas heater. Other than checking the
>fuses, I'm at a loss on what to do next. The unit
>hasn't worked in 20 years, that he knows of, but the
>car is from the southwest and is in good shape, not a
>rusted up mess.
>  My thoughts are to check power supply at the unit,
>remove-inspect-clean the spark plug, and check to make
>sure gas is getting to the unit. What would be the
>next steps I should take to make the unit fuction
>again?

Expect the fuel line to the heater pressure regulator to be clogged and
gummed after all these years.   Same for the regulator, which will likely
need to be flushed/blown out before fuel will ever get to the
heater.    You can disconnect the lines from the heater and the regulator
etc and blow air through them to clear them.   Some squirts of carb cleaner
through the lines won't hurt either.   There's also the valve and regulator
to squirt, too.    Give it hell.

Next is to check the burner box fan to make sure it's running.   It has a
cam on the motor shaft which operates a set of ignition  points that fires
the plug.   Check them too if there's no spark to the plug and the burner
box fan is running.  The burner box fan, for the sake of non-cavefolk, is
on the right side of the trunk with a 2" hose running from it to the burner
box.    Points/coil ignition just like the engine.

Obvious checks on the spark plug, just like any other plug (excuse me,
"ignitor")... although they seldom ever go bad.   You'd better check the
heater exhaust pipe as well, since they rust easily and is likely rotted
away by now.    Vendors have the exhaust pipes.    Check the exhaust stub
coming out of the heater burner box too...  it's stainless and won't rust
but they do corrode and oxidize and break loose from the burner box.

If the fuel regulator is working, the plug has spark, no clogs, and the
heater assembly has power to run it, the heater should fire up.    Remind
the owner that the engine has to be running before the heater will
work.     And pay attention to that exhaust pipe and the seal between it
and the exhaust stub...  you will soot up the trunk if there's an exhaust
leak.

GM had a separate service manual on the gas heaters.   I think it's being
repro'ed and sold by the vendors.

tony..