<VV> Who Wants A Set Of 65/66 Head Restraints?

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Tue Feb 22 13:18:52 EST 2005

Actually, there's more to them than meets the eye. When you get into
metal fabrication, it can get expensive. Especially with heavier stock,
like what's used for the post material. Then there's the parts that are
WELDED into the seat frame, which are fairly complicated (spelled pricy)
assemblies, in terms of dies needed for reproducing them. I'm speaking
from the point of view of a retired diemaker with 30 years of experience
in the field of automotive stampings. Then there's the chrome plating,
which isn't cheap. I just had a Corvair shift lever replated, and it
cost $90. So just in metal pieces alone, the $350 price figure on eBay
is not unreasonable, considering what it would take to reproduce such
assemblies. Plus you have to remember that they probably sold to
Corvette people, who usually have more money than brains, IMHO. (Wish
they'd stop raiding OUR parts bins.)

And I didn't even mention the padding and upholstery. The '66 style
wouldn't be too bad to repop, but the '67-9 styles would be extremely
pricy, as the covers are one-piece molded with an additional bottom piece.

-Mark C