<VV> Help - engine diagnosis request

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Thu Feb 24 10:51:36 EST 2005

In a message dated 2/24/05 6:34:58 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
akinzelm at greatnortherncorp.com writes:

> while cranking the engine with the valvetrain loose, the #4 exhaust pushrod
> is only stroking about ¼" (held in by finger pressure only).  My guess is
> the cam lobe is worn down.

Andy,
1/4 inch is about spec on some stock cams. What I suggest is to compare that
lift to the other exh lifts on that engine. If it is less, then yes, either
the cam or the lifter is very worn. Why not pull the lifter and look at its
foot. That should tell you, since any wear will probably be on both the lifter and
the cam lobe.
Regards,
Bob Helt