<VV> "rebuilt" ULTRA Starter---

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Fri Feb 25 11:46:32 EST 2005

Group

Back about 7 years ago, ( when the engine in the ULTRA Monza was going into a van), I was still working at Western Auto in Va. Beach.  I needed a rebuilt starter. My managers mother worked at a starter/alt/generator rebuilder in Norfolk, so he told me to take the starter there and " I would get a deal on the rebuild"

Well, turns out a deal I got.  The starter was put into the EUM back in July, and functioned fine until last week, when the engine refused to start.   About a 10 foot push, let in the clutch, and the engine fires up as normal. Starter out, on the bench, dis-assembled.

Commutator nearly worn out, brushes worn out, obviously NEVER TOUCHED. ( starter actually engaged less than 100 times since being installed.) Solenoid, yeah, that WAS new,  a Retard Auto GP Sorenson piece of crap. So I paid 25 bucks to this company for a 7 dollar solenoid and 10 minutes  to put it on because I was a friend of an employees kid.   Some Deal!!  Didn't even bother to spray 10 cents worth of paint on it.

Reman starter (sans solenoid) from Corvair Vendor installed 5 days later, with a NAPA Echlin solenoid, and all is well again.

Just like a Corvair guy.  Tried to save a few bucks on a starter. ended up losing. Pound wise, penny foolish.   Now of course I could have gone the ULTRA way.....

I have 7 starters I have put away for a bulk return to Unca Lon sometime later this year, I could have dis-assembled all of them, taken a commutator, brush set, and any other parts that looked the best, made one starter out of them, and hoped for the best each time I turned the key, but I just don't care for pushing cars that much.

Now it works, every time I turn the key, and I don't have to wonder about it anymore.  Path of least resistance? YES.  Cheapest way out?? NO.  To each their own I suppose.

Moral??  Unless you know your local rebuilder well, ( or you really want to go get the parts and do it yourself), get a Reman Starter from our vendors. If going to a National or Regional meet, you could likely persuade the Vendor to bring it along so you at least save on shipping and return of your core.

Regards
Hank