<VV> Board of Directors Job Discription - thanks

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Mon Feb 28 10:38:30 EST 2005

Bob
Sent to the list to see what others think!!

When I talked with Scott yesterday, he shared with me  briefly how things
sometimes go. I won't share that here with you all, but I am sure if anyone
interested in being a Director calls him, he will be as forthright as he was
with me.

I certainly don't want to paint the wrong picture. I also would never want
to make light of anyone's service on the Board, or the amount of time and
effort they have put into keeping the club a going concern.  Several of the
members, present as well as previous,  are very dear friends of mine (you
included), and I have no intention of poking a finger at any of them.

There are a few people on the board who have been on it for an awful long
time.  I believe that there is some kind of roll-off period as in you can
serve only so many 3 year terms consecutively.  No matter how much of an
asset any one person is to the Board, I would think it in the club's
interest to perhaps form another group.

My high school (a Christian Brothers private school) has a board of
directors and a Board of Governors.   The BoD is a group of mostly younger
people (ages 22 to around 45) consisting of recent college graduates to
alumni of about 30 years standing.  They are the group that do the actual
day to day policy and fundraising activities for the school, etc.

The Board of Governors is a group of about 20 people who are more
"seasoned", and are in the 55 and older group.  They stick around to make
sure the newer, younger, and less experienced folks on the BoD don't "step
in the dung", so to speak.  Nothing more than an advisory group. Their
advice doesn't HAVE to be utilized, but it is there when stepping into
territory unexplored, or not explored in some time.

Once you reach a certain age, regardless of when you were asked to join the
board (the average age being around 30 when you join), your average 15 years
of service to the school is appreciated, and you may be asked to join the
board of Governors, and maybe not. Perhaps later, when one of the Governors
passes away, you may get the call.

In discussions with former directors over the years, some felt that as long
as "old guard" personnel are continuing to serve on the Board, substantive
change will never take place. Not ever having been a member of the Board,
and only knowing second hand and only in generalities what  may have gone
on, I sure can't comment. I have my own experiences in dealing with the
Board, and I do read the minutes as printed.

If some of our long standing board members became part of an advisory group
to the Board, and let their long held seats become open again, the door
would open for more people to become Directors. Different people, with
different ideas, and different plans for how those plans could be
implemented.

Directors might say, "well we have problems getting people to run now as it
is"-- and that looks true.  But I can tell you now, if Seth's, Kent's,
Dennis', or Sarah's term ended, and they were running again, I sure wouldn't
bother to run against them. One thing I have seen for certain over 18 years
of watching Board elections, is it isn't easy to defeat a sitting director.

As an example, when I joined CORSA in the late 80's, I believe Dave Palmer
was President. I believe he may still  be active in the car hobby, but if
you joined since say, 1992 you might ask, "who the hell is Dave Palmer?"  I
don't know how long he served on the Board, but  I haven't heard the name
more than a couple of times in the last 15 years.
Allen Bristow  became a director in the early 90's, became President, and by
the end of the decade was gone from the board. In his case, his own business
and starting a family likely took some precedence.  But these guys, as
former Directors and Presidents, merely as an example would be a great
source of advice and direction for the Club Board.

Is it time for top term limits for Directors??  Man, I ain't touchin' that
one.  But perhaps the directors might discuss that  in among themselves. I
doubt strongly that any current board member wears his title like a robe,
though I have seen fiefdoms in the leadership of local chapters.   I would
be willing to bet they all are concerned about the future of the club.  I
wouldn't be surprised to find out that some Directors would be willing to be
part of an advisory group to the board, and relinquish their seats when
their time is up.  In so doing be able to keep a finger on the pulse of
what's going on, without having to be involved in all the day to day stuff
(could be read as BS).

Of course it's just all my opinion, and I could be wrong <G>

Regards
Hank