<VV> Strange miss or hesitation

Russ Moorhouse corvair65@verizon.net
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:47:32 -0500

With the temp almost to 60 degrees here along the Chesapeake Bay, I decided
to take "Stinky" out for a spin and charge up the battery.  I haven't driven
it much this summer, mostly due to carburetor issues I was having.  It
really wasn't until last month that I got them somewhat synched by hand.  I
haven't had a chance to use my uni-sync to fine tune them or set the cold
idle properly.

But she did startup and after a minute or so of me feathering the idle while
cold, she was off and running.  The last time I drove her I noticed a
sometime miss or hesitation  between 3000 and 4000 rpm, so today I decided
to see if I could further diagnose that problem.  After getting her good and
warmed up I ran her hard through the gears.  First gear she went up to 4500
rpm with out any problems, when I shifted into second and gassed it,
immediately I noticed the problem and it was bad to the point and being
noisy.  I couldn't tell if it was backfiring or what it was doing.  I
shifted into third and it went away, but I noticed a slight miss in the
usual range, but not anything like it was in 2nd gear.  In 4th gear she was
running fine around 3000 to 4000 rpm, but I was accelerating slowly at that
point, because I was way above the posted speed limit at that point.  A
pickup pulled out in front of me and I backed off. but he accelerated
quickly so I left it in 4th and just floored it.  The tach was right at 3000
rpm and I noticed the problem occur.  I back off the gas some and it went
away and continued to accelerate smoothly as long as I didn't floor it.

It was worst was in second gear, never noticed it in first and was slight in
third and fourth.

What's been done: Four Wolf premium rebuilt carbs, new 8mm Seth wires, new
plugs (Bosch), new fuel pump, in line filter and fuel lines.  Pertronix
IgnitorII with 12V going to it as shown on the instructions and Flamethrower
II coil.  Rebuilt heads.

Anyone have an idea what the problem may be?    I'm thinking it's more fuel
system related than electrical, since it seems to bog down when floored.

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP (Stinky)
Group Corvair Member
Corsa Member