<VV> 1st car

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh@yahoo.com
Sat, 1 Jan 2005 05:24:58 +0000 (GMT)

I bought my daughter a '64 Spyder convertible for her
first car.  We bought it when she was 13 and did a
complete mechanical restoration.  I also installed 3
point harness/belt in the front seats.  She earned the
car (and learned how it worked and how to maintain it)
by sweat equity.  We worked on it together 3 years,
but  I insisted on her doing everything (at least
once, e.g. she might do the left brake and I did the
right).

Unless your daughter is really interested in the
Corvair, and willing to work on it to earn it, I would
recommend against it for a first car.  Most kids don't
understand how a car works, nor do they care to learn.
 They don't maintain their cars and they are not
cognizant of warning signs of mechanical failure.  In
the hands of such people a modern car (preferably a
bigger modern car) is much safer and more reliable
than a Corvair.

Rod Murray said:

<<Here's one for the dads...my 15-year old daughter is
due for her
license next
summer, so the inevitable "1st car" is not too far
behind. ....
Looking for some input here...if it were your
daughter, what would you
do?>>

=====
-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on