<VV> My Take On Kids And Cars

Nick Elzinga starship@worldonline.co.za
Sat, 1 Jan 2005 11:35:02 +0200

I started writing a book on this subject based on my own experiences and
then decided that I could just summarize the whole thing in a few lines.

Give the kid the car they want, but within reason.  You have a much better
chance of them looking after and caring for it than if you buy them
something they hate and would rather not be seen dead in.  The choice is
vast:  there is bound to be something you can both agree on, but involve the
kid.  They will need to stand on their own two feet eventually and make
decisions.  Now would be a good time to start.

Kids crash cars due to a lack of experience and the inability to make the
correct decision in the split second in which they need to react.  The cost
of the repair, the excess, or deductible I think the Americans call it, the
inconvenience and possible injuries are better avoided, believe me.  Equip
the kid with the knowledge they need and send them on an advanced driving
course.  Let them experience under the proper tuition how a car handles on a
track and on a skid pan.  The money spent on this IS worth it in the long
run.  Then take them to a scrap yard and let them see what crashed cars look
like - lots of them and ask them if they want to be a in a car wreck.  They
will have a much greater respect for cars and be far more aware of the
dangers of driving than if left to their own undeveloped skills.

That aside, draw up a contract and make the kid sign it.  If they misuse the
car and end up at a piss-up and loose the wheels on the way home, make it
their problem.  They will soon realize the grim alternative is public
transport, their feet or the bicycle they had back in school.

Nick
Cape Town
South Africa