<VV> Carb Adjustment

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sat, 1 Jan 2005 23:11:01 -0500

>From the wild idea department: are you sure you've got the cam rider on the
second-HIGHEST step? Maybe you've got it on the second-LOWEST. As I recall,
there are four levels. Do what you can to make sure you've got the rider on
the prescribed step of the cam.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Richard Tyson
Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2005 11:32 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Carb Adjustment

Santa brought me two new (rebuild) carbs for my '65 110 hp Monza.  Never
being
one to leave well enough alone, I disassembled the carbs to check settings
(I
also wanted to install 0.052 jets).  When I put the first carb back
together,
I followed the procedure described in the Tech Guide (and in the shop
manual)
for adjusting the fast idle cam.  The procedure calls for a 0.078 in. gap
between the idle speed screw and the throttle lever (with the idle screw in
1&1/2 turns and the fast idle tang on the second highest step of the cam).
My
gap was somewhat less than 0.010 in. so I attempted to bend the throttle
lever
tang to increase the gap to 0.078 in.  This resulted in a quite "distorted"
tang that appeared abnormal.  When I put the second carb together, I
carefully
measured the gap without any bending.  It was 0.007 in.  When I checked an
old
carb (with a normal-looking U-shaped tang), the gap was approx. 0.040 in.
Have I missed something or should the tang really be bent enough to increase
the gap distance to 0.078 in.?

Recommendations are certainly welcomed.