<VV> VV 1st Car & girls (long, but an experienced opinion) NO CORVAIR

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Sun, 2 Jan 2005 00:33:48 EST

I had a dealership that I ran for some years (until I couldn't take the abuse
anymore), I specialized in cars for kids... I called it "The $3000 Car
Store". I sold about 500 cars in three years and here's some of what I learned:

1) Due to the high desirability of certain makes (Honda Toyota), they aren't
good value on the used market.  You pick: sharp '98 Cavalier with 75k or
tattered '88 Celica with 297k. (same price, $3k)  Stated another way, a '98 Saturn
with 80k was $3000, a '98 Civic with '80k was $10,000.

2) Airbags are a really good thing, along with many other safety improvements
to latches, hood retainers, crush zones, steering columns, and on and on.  By
'95, everything had dual airbags but was still OBD1.  A sweet combination of
benefits with reasonable simplicity.

3) The nicer the car, the faster it got totalled.  I sold hundreds of average
cars without issue, the real standouts were ALL totalled within two weeks. A
real shame and I never figured that one out.

4) Every Kia or Hyundai I sold (all with 50k to 80k) needed or had a new
engine or transmission, needed CV joints, and all the Kias had impossibly warped
dashes (up 5" in the middle)

5) A 4 cyl used car with an automatic and over 125k (except GM) could be
relied upon to provide 15k more from the trans.  OTOH, the same car with a stick
will provide 75k+ more from the trans.

6) Avoid: 3.8 Ford cars (bad engine), all 2.8 GM (bad engine,no power),
anything with an 80's carburetor, 3.0 Chry/mitsu (bad engine), older Taurus/Sable
(bad AT), VW (repair frequency), Hyundais.  Watch low-end Mitsu/Eagle models,
many are Hyundais.

7) Consider: 93-up Saturn, especially DOHC.  91-95 Escort (Mazda) (though
watch ATs; 125k and they're done) '96-up Cavalier.  Any low mileage Honda or
Toyota that fits your budget and isn't a "rebuilt" wreck (miracle find).  Other
Japanese cars can be good buys.  Suzuki does a really nice job and they arent in
the kid's target so prices are about half of H&T.

8) Plan on an AT service, and cam belt along with about $500 devoted to
routinely needed (tires, muffler, battery) service.

9) On the purchase end, for every one of the 500 that I purchased, I looked
at ten vehicles.

10) I came to find that for the same FINAL money spent I could either have a
4 year old car with 80k that needed almost nothing or a "much cheaper" 7-year
old car with 125k needing work.  And the resale valve on the 4-year old car
will always be higher, starting from day one.

11) Check the insurance company rates before buying. Some common cars can be
$300 a month.

Craig (back to technical writing and Street-rod a/c,electrical,EFI work) Nicol