<VV> Re: teen driver's accident records

djtcz@comcast.net djtcz@comcast.net
Sun, 02 Jan 2005 17:18:56 +0000

>Message: 11
>From: "John Kepler" <bigjohnohio@worldnet.att.net>
>To: "Ken Campbell" <deltainc@grm.net>, <virtualvairs@corvair.org>
>Subject: Re: <VV> RE: VV 1st Car & girls
>Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 23:43:42 -0500

> ken campbell, iowa, my 2 kids wrecked 4 cars before they were 18, ... been
> there ....

>Funny, I've been driving for 35 years, and the only car I ever wrecked was
>run over by a Cat 988 while parked on a job-site!  I have 4 boys, 3 of them
>drivers over 18, and they've NEVER even scratched the paint on a car, let
>alone wrecked one.  So please, don't generalize!

>John
Congratulations on your family's good record!  If you offered a series of instructional tapes on how you did it, I'd consider buying them.
I suspect even your insurance premiums reflect that your results are indeed atypical.
I think taking the admittedly generalized view that that there is a high probability of a young new driver having a crappy driving record is probably going to prove to be both economically and emotionally less painful than acting on the assumption things will go well.
For the last 7 years I worked with a crusty fellow with plenty of New England blue and white collar kids and brothers. His philosophy (in severely tamed language)  is "growing up is fouling up". I think he's close to right.