<VV> Re: brake bias/balance

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson@atlas.co.uk
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 11:47:36 -0000

Sethracer@aol.com wrote:

> Modern  FWD cars start at 60/40. Hard braking has to shift that to near
> 80/20. It  looks to me like Even dinky little rear drums are probably not
> a real
> hindrance on some cars, and rear disks may have to be turned way  down.

The great LJK Setright, the very eccentric and brilliant Jewish journalist
who has an enormously long beard (like Moses!) and writes for the British
CAR! magazine (or used to until recently) once said that the only purpose of
rear wheels (and brakes) on an FWD car was to stop the back of the body
dragging along the ground.

He hates FWD because he reckons it overtasks the front wheels and corrupts
the messages that the steering sends to the driver - and on most cars he is
right. Not quite all, though.

Cheers

Alan