<VV> Wheel bearing grease

Phil Fairman hoscale@paonline.com
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 21:27:39 -0500

Cecil Mills wrote:

I am
to the point of packing the bearings on one set and was wondering if there
was
a specific brand of bearing grease that is possibly better than others.  I
have previously used Valvoline wheel bearing grease that so far is working
O.K., but if there is something better, I would prefer to use it.  This is a
job I would rather not redo if I can avoid it.  Thanks.

There are two basic types of grease out there, "High Pressure" and "High
Temperature" Most mechanics use the High Temp grease for wheel bearings and as
long as they are repacked at specific intervals, any quality product that
meets standards will do. That being a given, after looking at the synthetic
products out there, using and believing in them, I found that Amzoil makes a
grease (synthetic) that is both High Pressure and High Temperature and, I
believe, it's the only one so rated. There is also a green synthetic wheel
bearing grease that Mercedes dealers use on their cars that is supposed to be
the ultimate, but even the local MB dealer's service manager doesn't know what
it really is, they just use it.  I use the Amzoil grease and it works well,
but most any name brand grease that is labeled for wheel bearings should work.
I just like the idea of the dual-rated synthetic in those difficult-to-repack
rear wheel bearings that seem to cause us so much concern.

Cheers,
Phil Fairman
'66 Monza 110/pg