<VV> Heater control cable question...

goofyroo@excite.com goofyroo@excite.com
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:51:51 -0500 (EST)

Years ago I had a "cable oiler" from J.C. Whitney that was a marvel of simplicity.  It was a large syringe ending in an open tube.  The tube's end had a slit piece of hose, about like fuel-line hose, stuck in it.  The hose-piece ID was such that a motorcycle cable (or heater cable, in the Corvair's case) could be pushed into it and the tube tightened around it via a hose clamp.

I'd fill the syringe with oil, insert the plunger, and apply pressure.  Gradually -- though much faster than any drip method -- the oil would flow down into the cable casing, eventually dripping out the other end.  Cable oiled.

Wish I could find one that simple and effective today.  I tried a motorcycle shop, and the Whitney catalog, to no avail.

Michael Smith
Dallas

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com