<VV> Re: Walmarts policy on batteries

Hank Kaczmarek kaczmarek@charter.net
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 08:23:00 -0500

Gary
Sorry for the 1st reply that only made it to you.

Gary wrote

 Quite awhile ago I went into an Advance Automotive to get a Group 51R
> Battery. They kept asking what it was for, I replied never mind what it is
> for, Do you have one?

As I mentioned about a week ago---STAY OUT OF ADVANCE AUTO!!!!
.

> Argued with the counter clerk, and then the manager for about a half hour
> while he tried to figure out how to use a book as a 61 Rampside was not in
> the computer.

Just another reason to STAY OUT OF ADVANCE AUTO---IF ANYONE in that store
KNEW ANYTHING about the Auto Parts Business---they would KNOW HOW TO USE THE
BOOKS!!!!

They finally arrived at the conclusion that a 51R was the
> wrong battery and in fact I needed a Group 53, and they could not sell me
> 51 R because it would not be allowed. Of course they didn't have a Group
> 53,
> and no idea how long or if they could get one........

THEY CAN'T GET YOU ONE---It's not in their Product Mix.  They won't carry
anything that moves slowly. OR anything that's expensive, it seems. Not even
in their warehouse.

 I won't mention the name, but when Advance bought out Western Auto Parts
America, we were still carrying the PF4 AC Oil Filter.  A CORSA member who
was the ONLY oil filter buyer for Advance deleted the PF4 from the Product
Mix, as in his opinion the Purolator was "Good Enough". No amount of
cajoling him would change his mind. IMO he has been brainwashed by this
company.  He probably also buys Blue Chip Clutch disks for a Corvair from
there. I wouldn't put a Blue Chip Clutch in a Chevette.

I once was told by an Advance regional Vice President (they don't have those
positions anymore) that the marketing philosophy was designed to get you in
the store ONCE.....As he said, "people get their first drivers license every
day"....

BTW, NAPA stores have an addition to their TAMS computer system called Parts
Pro---which DOES have a 1961 Rampside in it.  Also has a 1926 Model T in it.

For the benefit of all----

Check with your local GM dealer.  Ask the Parts manager where the local AC
delco Battery wholesaler  is in your area. Many dealers use a Battery
wholesaler (in Charlotte called Battery Service and Supply), that is a
jobber for AC Delco.  They
can supply you with whatever battery you need , and they WON'T ASK YOU WHAT
IT"S FOR!!!!!

My Dealer had a jet ski, and needed a gel battery for it.   NAPA wanted
125.00 (master installer price)---Got it at Battery Service for 60.00.

BTW, Garland---If you got this far, just forget everything. I know I won't
EVER change your mind about how wonderful a parts store Advance is <GG>

HANK

 I got my 51R from NAPA on Monday...........