<VV> Heater control cable question...

Eric S. Eberhard flash@vicspdi.com
Wed, 05 Jan 2005 09:34:36 -0700

Thanks!  I have done the tunnel a lot over the years ... easy and time
consuming.  I just did the parking brake cable a few months ago, figures I
have to do it again!  Thanks for the location of the cable end -- I'll hunt
by that tire.

At 07:43 PM 1/4/2005, AeroNed@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 1/4/2005 2:54:54 PM Central Standard Time,
>flash@vicspdi.com writes:
>
>My 62  wagon has a problem which I think is a broken cable?  With all the
>levers up it blows cold air through the heater ducts.  With the  heater
>lever down it blows hot air.  But always blows air.  Do I  need to replace
>the middle cable?  Can it replace it and leave the  housing in place?  Where
>does it attach in the rear (some awful place  to reach I bet :-))? Thanks!
>

>Flash,
>
>It could be a couple of things. When all the levers are up and it's blowing
>cold air, I'll assume the air is from the engine fan. So you could have a
>busted  cable or it could be a bad seal on the flapper valve in the heater
>unit.
>To check for a busted cable, look where it attaches to the heater (just
>inboard of the rear passenger tire) and see if the lever is moving there.
>If  not,
>you need a new cable, if it is moving you need a new flapper valve  seal.
>If the cable is bad you'll need to replace the whole thing as both ends  have
>coils that won't go through the cover. To replace the cable you'll have to
>remove the tunnel cover on the bottom of the car. Not too difficult, but lots
>of  screws. Someone with your name should be able to do it in a flash....
>
>Ned

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a
message)

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off when I
sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

NEW Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and lots of
pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon (with Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels).

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html