<VV> tire deterioration

Hank Kaczmarek kaczmarek@charter.net
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:43:08 -0500

All

Interesting thread.

The desert isn't the only place tires go bad, though in the desert they surely
might go faster.

We all need to remember that any vehicle that sits without being moved very
much isn't doing much good for the tires. they will tend to flat-spot, also
the bonds between the various belts will tend to weaken.  Obviously nobody
wants either one.

IMO if you put your show car or driver to bed for the winter months, it would
be well worth your while to put the car up on stands and remove the tires. If
you spend money for tires (Michelins, etc) It is wise to store them in a temp.
controlled area. This will obviously help extend their life.

Near me there are more than a few "old geezers" who own Corvairs, and some who
own other cars.  The tires they run around on scare the hell out of me.  There
is one Corvair (I won't mention the year or model as it might expose the
owner) who has a set of 29 year old tires on his car, and they are dry rotted
all to hell---yet drives around on them.

We all understand that Corvair owners are thrifty <GG>
but money spent on tires is never wasted money IMO

Regards
HANK