<VV> Sparking Questions

Eric S. Eberhard flash@vicspdi.com
Wed, 05 Jan 2005 09:47:23 -0700

I have Pertronix II and Flamethrower II coil and MSD 6a on my Spyder and
Judson cars.  I found several things:
         1) Starts better and runs better cold
         2) Allows be to run richer without fouling plugs

After the install I noticed number 1 right away and no other benefit.  Both
cars I had always run a little rich (to keep things cool) and they always
fouled plugs fairly rapidly.  I was able to increase the jet sizes with the
MSD in place -- and with the extra fuel I could advance the timing a bit (2
degrees on Spyder and 6(!) on the Judson car) without knocking ....

What I am trying to say is that just installing it will only do #1, #2 can
be achieved with fiddling.

It is easy to install -- instructions have a section for the
Pertronix!  The tach worked fine the first time but it is not obvious from
the instructions where the wire goes.  It does NOT go on the coil ... it
goes to the MSD wire where the other coil wire goes.

I installed mine using the same leads as usually go on the coil (round
hole) and used screws to make the connections.  Why?  Because if the MSD
ever fails I remove two screws and put the Petronix wires back on the coil
and voila, I am ready to go w/out the MSD.  I installed mine in the driver
side fender:

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/Green/target28.html

Both cars have one "bug" from the MSD -- every once in a blue moon the car
will not turn off.  I turn the ignition off and it keeps on running.  I
have read about this problem on all sorts of cars with MSD.  Usually I just
stall the car to kill it.  I have experimented ... if I just drive it then
try again it also goes off.  The charge light comes on indicating it is
running from battery.  Anyone with a clue as to what this is and how to
fix?  It is not important enough to be a big issue, it has happened 3 times
in a year (1 on Spyder, 2 on Sedan) and I drive the Sedan almost daily.

At 02:52 AM 1/5/2005, Jim Bannister wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>A MSD 6A ignition system just fell into my possession.  I know that many of
>you have used them, but as I didn't anticipate getting one at the time, I
>didn't pay attention.  Currently, I've got a Pertronix 1 unit with
>flamethrower coil.  All is happy under the hood.  It fires my '66 turbo
>motor without a burble.  Is anything to be gained by installing the MSD?
>Secondly, were are  any problems to anticipate getting the tach to function
>with this setup?
>
>An inquiring mind wants to know.
>
>Jim B.
>
>'66 turbovert

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a
message)

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off when I
sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

NEW Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and lots of
pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon (with Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels).

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html