<VV> Dennis Dorogi's Rampside

Dan & Synde dsjkling@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:31:29 -0800

You know, for a second there I was trying to figure out what he was
sectioning the gas tank for.  What first came to mind was he was shaving the
gas filler hole and moving it but then I remembered, 62-65 had the
transmission shifter running through the tank.  He must have had a hard time
finding a decent tank to  go to that trouble.  What I remember reading was
that GM had some customer complaints about bending or damaging the shifter
shaft because it hung down.  I haven't noticed that problem on my 61
Greenbrier and I've been down some pretty rough, rutted and rocky roads but
it must have been a big enough issue for GM to spend the money on retooling.

Also, I've been thinking about hinging the engine cover on my Greenbrier
like those in the pictures but there is a clearance issue with the spare
tire.  I thought I may hinge it to the left or right side instead and
install a latch.  Does anyone have pictures or ideas of a good way to do
this but at the same time making it look stock?  I would prefer the method
that minimizes the drilling of holes and welding so that it could be
returned to stock easily.   I've been hesitating to do it because I hate to
modify things like that but I've always thought the screw down engine cover
was dumb and inconvenient.  GM passed it off as unnecessary because of the
rear engine access hatch.

Interesting photos!

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw

<snip>From: "mopar@jbcs2.net" <mopar@jbcs2.net>
>To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
>Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 12:24:50 -0500
>Subject: <VV> Dennis Dorogi's Rampside
><snip>
><snip>Be sure and check out
>the gas tank photos. The completed truck has scored 99 points at Concours
>at 2 of the Four Clubs events, and is breathtaking...........
<snip>