<VV> Differential Yoke end play

AngryCorvair@aol.com AngryCorvair@aol.com
Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:31:40 -0500

In a message dated 1/6/2005 5:44:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, Dave Mitchel <themitchels2@earthlink.net> writes:

>I have a '68 and the yoke that attaches to the half shaft has a lot of
>end play.  What is the correct way to repair this?

i wish i had an exploded diagram in front of me so i could use the right names for stuff.   anyway, the bolt that goes through the yoke and into the diff, threads into a *thingie* which is limited in axial movement by (1) the diff side gear for outboard movement and (2) the spider gear pinion shaft assembly for inboard movement.   IIRC, in a 2-spider diff this *thingie* contacts the shaft directly, but in a 4-spider diff there's a machined block for the spider gear pinion shafts, and the *thingie* contacts the block rather than the shaft.   I don't remember if the *thingie* is specially machined for use with a 4-spider diff, but something's got to give as the machined block is definitely thicker than the spider gear pinion shaft.

i posted a couple .jpgs which might explain better

http://evilallianceracing.com/ipw-web/gallery/Old-Cars?page=2

one shows a 2-spider with the side cover off, but the spider gear pinion shaft still in place.   the other shows an exploded view of a 4-spider open diff.

disclaimer:  i can't remember for sure if this 2-spider is truly undisturbed.  since i had to reuse the spider gear pinion shaft for the 4-spider diff, i might've removed the spider gear pinion shaft and the block if the block is indeed part of a 2-spider diff.

also, from page 81 of the 1986 version of Finch's HTKYCA:
"Excessive side play found in 1965-69 rear axles is caused by clearance between the spider gears and the carrier housing.   Shims can be installed to eliminate this play, which causes unwanted camber change."

i think he means side gears, not spider gears, as shimming between the side gears and the carrier would effectively lengthen the side yoke relative to that through-bolt, which puts the *thingie* closer to the spider gear pinion shaft.

patrick aka <AngryCorvair@AOL.com>