<VV> Tires for a '63 Spyder (Here we go again)

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:27:24 -0500

On Jan 7, 2005, at 12:39 AM, BobHelt@aol.com wrote:

> Actually, in revolutions per mile the 175/80R13 almost exactly equals
> the
> 6.50X13
> 2-ply tire. It's 863 vs. 864
> So it is an exact replacement.

Bob,

I'm not sure if you're trying to get me going again or if you're
serious with your remarks.

You know as well as I do that revs/mi varies quite a bit among tires
because of variances in size and construction. I have never seen any
revs/mi figures for actual 6.50-13 tires. Where did you get the 864
figure? Is this a Chevrolet spec? If so, you know it's just a spec, not
a figure from an actual tire.

When I did my research, I was unable to come up with any rev/mi
figures, because the manufacturers didn't publish them at the time.
They told me they had no such information available. To be more
specific, in a letter to me dated March 24, 1993, Mr. Ken W. Ball,
Senior Manager, Sales Engineering, for Bridgestone/Firestone Tire Sales
Company, wrote, "At that time, we were not publishing revolutions per
mile. As you stated, bias ply tires had a tendency to grow in dynamic
loaded radius as speed increased, so tire RPM was difficult to publish
due to speed variables." No other tire company I contacted was able to
give me information on this either. The Tire and Rim Association does
list a spec of 860 rev/mile for 6.50-13's, but again, that is just a
spec, not figures from actual tires. Their spec also lists the diameter
as 24.7".

Again, you know as well as I do that because of the variances in rev/mi
figures that just because one 175/80-13 lists 863, that doesn't mean
anyone can make a blanket statement that all 175/80-13's have 863
rev/mi.

Finally, if you've been following this thread you know the original
question didn't have anything to do with revs/mile but rather about
diameter. Here's the question:

> I am looking for replacement tires for my 63 Spyder. I would like to
> have
> a radial with a 1" whitewall. What size tire will look best - and
> close to
> stock for this car?

In my reply I said:

"Let me state that you have to decide what you're trying to do when you
pick your tire size. If you're looking for an accurate
speedometer/odometer, then what you want to do is to find a tire with a
revolutions per mile figure that matches that on your speedometer.
Remember, automobile speedometers/odometers weren't accurate from the
factory, but if that's what you are trying to accomplish, this is how
to do it."

But this was not the question - the writer said nothing about matching
revs/mi or speedometer/odometer accuracy.

I'm sure you know my diameter figures are correct, since you finally
agreed with me that a 7.00-13 was about 25.3" in diameter. My figures
show that a 6.50-13 is about 24.4-24.6" in diameter. Perhaps we could
round or average these figures and settle on a "norm" of 24.5" for the
diameter of the 6.50, realizing that in actuality the varied at least
from 24.1" to 24.7".

I know that you know that a 175/80-13 is, mathematically, 24.02" in
diameter and a 185/80-13 is 24.65" in diameter.

Therefore, I'm sure you would agree that the correct answer to the
question "What size tire will look best - and close to stock for this
car?", is a 185/80-13.

Regarding "replacement" sizes, I really hate that term as it isn't
definitive as to what the intention is. As I pointed out in my post, at
least some of these "replacement" recommendations that came from the
tire manufacturer's charts had nothing to do with the size of the tire
and only took load rating into consideration. This is how these charts
end up listing such sizes as B-50 and B-60 as "replacement" sizes for
6.50-13's.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina