<VV> Conventional, Synthetic Blend, Full Synthetic

Anil Mittal anil@anil.com
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 14:09:22 -0500

Bob,

  I do not tend to beleve this and I will tell you why.

  I bought a used 1995 Chevy Caprice ex-police car with about 90K
miles on it. I am sure up to that point that conventional oil was
used in it. It did not leak oil when I bought it. Promptly after
purchasing the car I started using Mobil 1 5W-30 in it which I use to
this day when the car has just over 248K miles on it. To date I have
never had an oil leak due to a seal. I did however have to replace
the oil pressure sender which leaked (due to mechanical failure).

  When I met my wife she had a 1995 Saturn SC2 with about 50K miles
on it. Once we got married and I started taking care of her car I
switched it over to Mobil 1. We got rid of the car at about 117K
miles at which time it did not leak any oil.

  I have been using Mobil 1 in my Corvair since the engine had about
3K miles on it. The engine now has about 30K miles on it with no oil
leaks.

  I am not sure if there is any science behind the oil leak theory or
if it is a myth. I'd just switch to synthetic and enjoy less engine
wear.

Good luck!

Anil

Message: 1