<VV> Rear Wheel Bearing failures

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 16:42:16 EST

In a message dated 1/6/05 11:11:49 AM US Mountain Standard Time, jld@wk.net
writes:

> It was thought that when the hub assembly with the press fit removed,
> the clamping force of the yoke nut would hold the assembly and prevent the
> inner races turning on the shaft.  That has proved to be incorrect. I
> assume it is because of thermal expansion.

Hi Jim,
Many thanks for the detailed analysis. I sure appreciate your inputs. If you
are new to Ultra Vans, then I am even newer, never owning one. But still I am
interested in all things Corvair. No doubt you are entirely correct about the
removal ov the inner bearing press fit, but I was under the impression that
Norm helmkay approved this method and continued to advise its use. if that is
wrong info, then I'm wrong too. I don't know Norm's address or I would inquire
from him. Do you know how I might contact him?

No if I read your analysis correctly, you are saying that the inner bearing
inner race will rotade on the spindle shaft if this press fit is removed. Is
that correct? Then are the failures that have occured ones that are due to this
problem? That is, is it the inner race that wears, or that portion of the
spindle shaft the wears when a failure occurs? Or is it the rollers in the bearing
themselves that fail? More info would be helpful.

I'm not disagreeing with your statements, just trying to understand the
failure mechanism.

One additional point. Even tho you analyzed the expansion charactreristics of
the 100 ft-lbs torque on the nut, I always thought the the yoke was also a
press fit onto the end of the spindle shaft so that both this press fit AND the
nut torque were additive in terms of holding the unit together. Comments?

Thanks again,
Regards,
Bob Helt