<VV> Conventional vs synthetic motor oils

Jim Simpson simpsonj@bellatlantic.net
Fri, 07 Jan 2005 18:36:37 -0500

The "leak" issue is not quite an old wife's tale or an urban legend, but it
comes close.  There is a basis for it -- when synthetic oils were first
introduced there were leak issues.  This was a result of the oils not have
the proper seal swelling additives.  That's been taken care of decades ago,
but the memory lives on.  Lots of these things stay around because of some
old-time mechanic's story or an article in a 1960 issue of Popular
Mechanics.  Long obsolete data!

I imagine this issue originated because of Amsoil -- they got into the
market by selling synthetic oils originally made for gas turbine engines
(jets).  The founder of the company figured that if this stuff was good
enough for a jet engine, it must be fine for an internal combustion
engine.  He was half right.  Unfortunately he really didn't understand all
the issues, seal properties being one of them.  But he did understand
marketing and built an Amway-like sales organization of true believers.

Note, I'm not saying Amsoil isn't any good.  The company has learned a lot
since they started in the '50s.

I noticed that you're in Topeka, KS.  That's where I bought my Corsa ('66
Corsa turbo coupe) a LONG time ago.  I picked it up used from the
Dodge/Chrysler dealer as the second owner.  It was originally bought by the
owner of the Dillons grocery store chain -- does that still exist in Topeka?

Jim Simpson, Group Corvair