<VV> Conventional, Synthetic Blend, Full Synthetic

CorvairEd@aol.com CorvairEd@aol.com
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 22:36:14 EST

anil@anil.com writes:

I  am not sure if there is any science behind the oil leak theory or
if it is  a myth. I'd just switch to synthetic and enjoy less  engine
wear

My experience has been that synthetic oil does not cause any oil  leaks.
What I have seen is when changing from a thick mineral oil like  20w50 or
straight 40 to a 10w30 or 10w40 synthetic if there were any slight oil  leaks it may
be worse with the synthetic because the synthetic oil is thinner at  all
temperatures.  Synthetic oil really cleans out the crud from the inside  of an
older engine so when converting over, be sure to change the oil filter  every
2,000 miles for at least 6,000 miles.  I've used AmsOil exclusively  in my two
current Cadillacs and four Corvairs, one of which is a hard working  Rampside.
They all thrive very well on synthetic.

Ed Corson  (CORSA Member)
IECC