<VV> Radio - speaker connection... mystery "tab"

Songs by Steve Songsbysteve@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 20:23:15 -0500

Hello again, groupies.

.After some major volume problems with the orig. radio in my '62, by
accident I discovered the little "contact tab" that's connected to one of
the speaker leads on the radio.  It appears that the original plastic dual
connector (when plugged in) was designed to push this "tab" backward,
thereby breaking contact with (I believe) the radio chassis.  I replaced my
connector because I replaced my original blown speaker with a new speaker
with new wiring, in the form of 2 separate female shovel-type connectors.
After this, I still had very low volume, and couldn't for the life of me
figure out why.  By simply pushing things around (as many of us do to figure
out what the heck is going on), I pushed this tab backward, and the volume
jumped up about 10 times!  It was obvious at that point that the original
connector was supposed to accomplish this, as I mentioned above.  So. I just
bent it back, and my radio is louder and clearer than ever.  Can someone
please tell me the purpose of this tab?  I'm guessing it's some type of
protective device in case the speakers are disconnected while the radio
still has power, but that's just a wild guess.

Thanks!!

Steve G.

St. Pete, FL..

.home of the Ed Bittman Unofficial Corvair Museum.

Songs by Steve

-Personalized Songs

-Messages on Hold

-Voiceover Services