<VV> Let the Buyer Beware - Final Chapter

Dennis & Debbie Pleau ddpleau@earthlink.net
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:28:03 -0600

The way I look at this is when I go to a real parts house; NAPA, Carquest,
AAA, I know the guy behind the counter is looking at least 4 prices for the
part and they vary by probably 40%  He has full retail for the person who
just walks off the street, all the way to stocking dealer for the shop who
keeps parts on the shelf, and a rate for the shop who orders parts on
demand but doesn't stock them.  NAPA has a price for people who belong to
AAA insurance which is about 10%, probably less than any of their dealer
programs but I'll take any discount I can get

When I go in, I want someone to wait on me who I'm on a first name basis
with.  I try to know exactly what I want and how to describe it so he
doesn't have to spend a lot of energy looking it up.  If I get someone I
know and they have an easy time finding my part, they will often give me a
better price than the AAA discount, if not, I get the AAA discount.  I in
no way according to the parts house policies deserve anything other than
the AAA discount, so anything else is a bonus.

Being polite and respectful does help out when buying auto parts,

Dennis