<VV> Oil changes again

tampatexan@earthlink.net tampatexan@earthlink.net
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:19:32 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

If I'm not mistaken, Lycoming (and Continental) allow the 50 hour change regardless of useage if the engine has an oil filter (not all of them do).

It has been my experience that ALL radials leak!!  Opps, no they don't leak ---- they're just marking their territory!

Jim Houston
Brandon, FL
'65 Monza Coupe

-----Original Message-----
From: Pitts10ch@aol.com
Sent: Jan 11, 2005 8:53 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Oil changes again

Sorry for the late bloom on this issue but:

A Lycoming 6 cylinder engine (aircraft) has a recommended oil change
interval of 25 hours.  This would equate to 1500 miles driven in  a Corvair.  A
Corvair engine is practically the same as a Continental  with its cam on the bottom
submerged in oil.  Continentals also have the  same interval.  This interval
can be extended to 50 hours if one flies that  in a month in steady service.
If constant power changes are  made than far more contaminants end up in the
oil such as fuel  etc..  Anyway, oil changes are the cheapest insurance and
super  easy in a vair.  I just did mine the other day and it was nasty looking
stuff.  I don't want to pull my engine any time soon.  Sidebar, I  worked for a
guy once and we had Pratt and Whitney R985 radials on Beech  18's.  He never
chaged the oil but they (his engines not all Pratts) leaked  so much that we
just added a gallon every night to each engine and it was always  fairly clean
looking.  Bizarre!

Chris