<VV> Early Battery

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:03:14 -0800

At 09:52 hours 01/11/2005 -0500, bowtieguy@cox.net wrote:
>Ed,
>
>I had an East Coast battery that lasted two years. I had a local
Interstate Commercial Battery that lasted a year. My local Batteries Plus
Exide did not make it a year. I found an Optima on Ebay that fits my '64
and should fit your '60. The latest battery is a D51R Optima. They are not
cheap($128.95) but they are worth it. While you are in your electrical
system I would have the generator and regulator checked too. I replaced
mine this past summer.

Auto Zone group 51 batteries are in the earlies here, including both '60s.
 They've been there for three years now in the Monza and 4 years in the 700
4-door.   Still going strong.

I've had poor luck with Interstate batteries... likewise Exide.  Had a
557/53/whatever early Vair Interstate battery (seems that some commercial
forklifts use this same  battery) and it went ONE year and died.  In
winter.   Likewise an Interstate group 24 in the Corsa ragtop, went a year
anna half.   Not tried an East Coast battery.    I've not had a single
Interstate battery last more than two years... or rather two summers and
one winter.    Twice.    The Auto Zone batteries seem to work quite well.

Local shop where we have the Wednesday evening Vair tech sessions is now
handling Bosche batteries.   Price is right.   No troubles so far, and I'm
likely gonna buy a #24 for the green '69 and another for the Yugo GVX
(which had its battery stolen by me to put in the ragtop when its
Interstate battery expired last fall).

So:   Who among the battery gurus in here can tell me stuff about Bosche
batteries?   Who actually makes them?

tony..