<VV> Cnsensus and opinion on what to do iwth my engine...

Dennis Nichols dixiehwy25@yahoo.com
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:10:41 -0800 (PST)

The Lakewood is a 70K car. As some of you may remember, it sat in a garage, virtually untouched for 29 years. Spring is on the way, and I am plotting my strategy to get it restored and going.

There's not enough space to go into all the details here, but the engine has been on my mind. I've been debating whether to just deflash the heads in place and leave it alone and run it that way, or go the the other way and split the crankacase and do it all. When first found, the motor was locked, but we broke it free. I've gotten the motor running with the carbs full of fuel, so it doesn't run long, but it runs.

So, I'd like some advice on what to do with a motor in this shape. One thing I have looked at seroiusly is taking it apart and re-gasketing and resealing. Also, since it's an early, low-comp 98 (8:1 CR dated 10/60), I figure i't's be wise to put the later style valves on it.

What else might I need to consider with this engine, and how far should I get into it? I do plan on taking the car "apart", due to the bodywork needed (floorpans, rockers, paint...) regardless.

Thanks again!

Yours,

"Every time a man gets in his car it should be a vacation"- Harley Earl

Dennis Nichols    CORSA, CKC

1961 Lakewood 700 98/3

Interested in wagons? lakewood700@yahoo.com